On why generations are a poor concept

I spotted this meme recently and it sums up pretty well the main problem I have with generations as a demographic group:

Simply, a 20-year 'generation' is too long. The idea of a generation is that members have a similar outlook due to their formative experiences. My generation is defined as anyone born between 1981 and 1996, a period of 15 years. Yet someone born at one end will have had very different experiences than one born at the end.  I often find talking to people at the tail end of the cohort don't remember songs, TV shows, etc that I did from my childhood. I can remember some events from the late 80's like The Herald of Free Enterprise and Hillsborough disasters but my brother (3 years younger than me doesn't). I often find more in common with tail-end Boomers (born 1965-80) than them. I'd suggest decades of birth are more useful for defining a cohort. 

Comments

Popular Posts

On covid-19 death statistics

On murder stats

On what if scenarios: London goes boom!