On modern freakshows

There's a meme that goes along the lines of 'If I had a penny for every time (x) happened, I'd have 2p. Which isn't a lot but it's weird it happened twice'

This brings me to not one but two recent articles this week on extreme boy modification: (warning, images on these links may cause vomiting)

I modified my body to be a black alien. now restaurants are scared to serve me

I'm an ex-banker 'genderless dragon'- my son won't talk to me

Note how the second individual is also buying into the non-binary crap and using they/them pronouns.

While I'm generally of the view people should be free to do whatever they want to their bodies, I'm also free to point and laugh at the wannabe circus freaks. I also don't like tattoos and think they are ugly and low-status, especially in large numbers (as are multiple piercings, mad hairstyles, and makeup). I often see people online posting pics of their latest tat and shake my head sadly...

It does make me wonder if the increased popularity of body modification is a sign of human behavior like the 'Beautiful ons' in John B. Calhoun's Mouse experiments. Or just due to an increase in desires to shock and deviate from social noms.

Comments

Popular Posts

On covid-19 death statistics

On what if scenarios: London goes boom!

On murder stats