On looking back on 2021

 Yes, I am still alive.

Despite my best intentions posting here dried up around September. The main reason for this was my new job, which started in July. For the first half of the year, I basically didn't have much to do at the temp job I was doing, which gave me time to read a lot of stuff online, gather links/ideas for posts, and draft material. Since then though I've been too busy at work to do any of this, and too tired to write much in the evenings. Having had the last two weeks off has given me time to reflect and compose this look back on the year. I can't promise that I'll post more in 2022, but you never know.

Work and career

 I started the year working 1 day a week as a supply teacher at a girl's school in Dartford, plus a bit of online ESL. This made things a bit tight, but things picked up in March when I got a part-time temp job as receptionist/administrator at an SEN school in Sevenoaks. Finally, in July I hot my current job as an exams/admissions officer, which I've been enjoying but has been hard work and has expanded to cover a lot of other stuff, and from next week I'll be doing it part-time and teaching the rest of the week (which I didn't really want to do but agreed to as a favour on the understanding that this is a one-time temporary change, for which they will also sign off my NQT year.

Studies

I spent 7 months doing a Graduate Certificate in History of Art and Architecture through Birkbeck, which kept me sane through lockdowns. I graduated with a merit which was a pleasant surprise, depending on how everything else goes I may go back next academic year and upgrade to a Graduate diploma.

Travel

Disappointing year, didn't get to go anywhere. I was planning on going to Malta for a few days in December but canceled due to the uncertainty over changing travel rules and not wanting to get stuck there for Christmas. I did go away for a long weekend with friends to Suffolk in November, and hopefully, next year will finally go overseas again.

Personal

My brothers wedding in August was a pleasant affair despite some prior dramas. I didn't meet anyone for the first half of the year and had one date around September that didn't go anyway. At this point, I'm close to giving up on meeting anyone or ever having a family.

Films, TV, and Music

Overall another crap year, with yet more woke crap ruining everything from Bond, Cowboy Bebop and the Matrix to name just three. I only went to the cinema 3 times, but they were all worth it- The French Dispatch, Dune, and Spiderman No Way Home. TV was just as bad, I hardly watched any western TV this year or bought any new music, instead getting into listening to Classic FM in the car. I'm hoping next year will see more of a pushback against all the woke garbage but am not holding my breath.

Politics

The biggest disappointments, with the Covid hysteria dominating events and Boris choosing the 'ho' (Princess Queen Nut Nut) over the 'bro' (Cummings), embracing the ecoloons, and killing off any hope of reforms. The hypocrisy of the recent revelations of the Christmas parties last year was the final icing on the turd, I really hope the fool goes soon next year and someone decent like Liz Truss replaces him.

Summary

Overall a shitty year, that managed to be worse than 2020. I would say things can only get better in 2022 but don't want to jinx things.

 




Comments

Popular Posts

On covid-19 death statistics

On what if scenarios: London goes boom!

On murder stats