On the Tokyo Olympics

This article- Tokyo’s doomed Olympics could be the worst yet- reminded me of one time when I walked past one of the construction sites that had hoardings decorated with scenes from the manga Akira. That also takes place in the buildup to an Olympics in 2020, which I thought was tempting fate a bit. Sure enough, as we know 2020 turned out horribly, but at least we didn't have espers running amok.

Personally, I've never been a fan of the Olympics (or sports in general), despite working in the city at the time I ignored the 2012 games in London as much as possible. I've seen how the Sydney and Beijing stadiums ended up being underused, and the sheer costs involved, corruption and waste make me feel I wouldn't mind much if this one ends up being a damp squib. As the above article notes, 'Eleven countries bid for 2020; only five did so for 2024 – and three of those pulled out after public outcries. There was only one candidate for 2028', so maybe politicians are wising up that the costs don't outweigh the supposed benefits of hosting the games. 

Maybe in future they should end the travelling circus and do the games in Athens every 4 years as was talked about back in 2004, at least the facilities exist and it would help out the Greek economy.

Comments

Popular Posts

On covid-19 death statistics

On what if scenarios: London goes boom!

On murder stats