On Prince Philip's funeral

 Was a very moving service this afternoon, especially poignant for me after attending my Uncle's on Wednesday.

One thought that struck me watching the bands beforehand is how no one does pomp and circumstance better than the UK, despite the decline in the size of our military we can still pull out all the stops when needed.

Finally, afterwards, I saw this article on the Duke- Prince Philip embodied the KBO spirit and thought it made some good points about the virtues of the stoical attitudes of his generation-

the sense that there is great value in just getting on with things and not dwelling on your own troubles or problems, and not inflicting them on other people. Winston Churchill, no stranger to genuine mental health struggles, used the acronym KBO, or Keep Buggering On. Many times over the last year that phrase has echoed in my head.

There was one part I disagreed with though- In his generation, for good or ill, such grumbling would be considered self-indulgent and undignified- I wouldn't say there was much 'ill' about it, it's preferable to the current obsession with showing feelings and claiming victimhood.

Comments

Popular Posts

On covid-19 death statistics

On what if scenarios: London goes boom!

On murder stats