On microaggressions

When I was a kid it was often said 

'Sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me'.

Now it seems the opposite is true, we often hear talk of the damage words can cause to mental wellbeing. This to me is sending the wrong message to young people, making them less resilient and leads to the encouragement of victimhood mentalities.

Which brings me to this piece I read today: The Macroaggression of Microaggressions. Key quote-

The problem is that he refused to simply roll over and accept that microaggressions could be anything other than microaggressions rather than just clueless utterings.

In other words, she simply couldn’t tolerate being questioned about her pet theory, one that as noted in the quoted piece is less than rigorously defined.

This circles back (as always) to critical theory ideas, that such ideas are inherently true and anyone who disagrees either does not fully understand the theory or wilfully refuses to.

Comments

Popular Posts

On covid-19 death statistics

On what if scenarios: London goes boom!

On murder stats